Using key global city rankings to help your destination stand out in the meetings industry
ICCA has partnered with our friends (and ICCA Congress speakers) Greg Clark and Tim Moonen at The Business of Cities to share with ICCA members their comprehensive analysis of the most useful and insightful global cities rankings.
Next week marks the release of ICCA’s eagerly awaited and widely promoted annual city and country rankings based on the number of rotating international association meetings hosted. This additional city ranking resource demonstrates that there are numerous alternative approaches to the analysis of competitive position and performance!
The Business of Cities has tracked the comparative benchmarking of city performance for the past decade. In 2015, its synthesis of 200 city indexes and rankings covered the trends and development patterns of over 800 cities. In May 2016, it published new analysis of the latest benchmarks and the emerging science of measuring cities.
Benchmarking research yields many insights into how cities can position themselves in the global urban system. It highlights the growing specialisation and distinctiveness of a wider group of cities, traces the emerging ‘system’ of cities in each continent, and gives cities a way to promote their infrastructure, identity and open-ness to capital and talent.
There are now dozens of robust and relevant indexes for ICCA members to explore. These include, as just a sample:
- 2thinknow Innovation Cities Index: http://www.innovation-cities.com/innovation-cities-index-2015-global/9609
- AmericaEconomia Best Cities to Do Business: http://rankings.americaeconomia.com/mejores-ciudades-2016/
- Arcadis Sustainable Cities Index: http://www.sustainablecitiesindex.com/
- Brookings Global Metro Monitor: http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports2/2016/01/metro-monitor#V0G10420
- CITIE – City Initiatives for Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship: http://citie.org/assets/uploads/2015/04/CITIE_Report_2015.pdf
- DELL – Future Ready Cities – Top 50 ranking: http://futureready.dell.com/economies/overview/the-top-50-ranking-future-ready-cities-around-the-globe/
- EIU – The Safe Cities Index: http://safecities.economist.com/whitepapers/safe-cities-index-white-paper/
- Ericsson Networked Society City Index: http://www.ericsson.com/thinkingahead/networked_society/city-life/city-index/
- Euromonitor – Top 100 City Destinations Ranking: http://blog.euromonitor.com/2016/01/top-100-city-destinations-ranking-2016.html
- fDi Global Cities of the Future: http://www.fdiintelligence.com/Locations/Global-Cities-of-the-Future-2014-15-the-winners
- IESE Cities in Motion: http://www.iese.edu/research/pdfs/ST-0366-E.pdf
- JLL City Momentum Index: http://www.jll.com/research/165/city-momentum-index-2016
- KPMG Global Cities Investment Monitor: http://www.kpmg.com/FR/fr/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/Documents/Global-Cities-Investment-2016.pdf
- Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index: http://newsroom.mastercard.com/digital-press-kits/mastercard-global-destination-cities-index-2015/
- Mercer Quality of Living Rankings: https://www.imercer.com/content/mobility/quality-of-living-city-rankings.html
- MORI Memorial Global City Power Index: http://www.mori-m-foundation.or.jp/english/ius2/gpci2/index.shtml
- PwC Cities of Opportunity: http://www.pwc.com/us/en/industry/entertainment-media/publications/cities-of-opportunity.html
- QS Best Student Cities Index: http://www.topuniversities.com/best-student-cities
- Reputation Institute City RepTrak: https://www.reputationinstitute.com/Resources/Registered/PDF-Resources/City-RepTrak-Report-2015.aspx
- Saffron The World City Business Brand Barometer: http://media.designersfriend.co.uk/saffron_brand_consultants/media/documents/Saffron_brand_barometer_V10.pdf
- The Global Start-up Ecosystem ranking: http://startup-ecosystem.compass.co/ser2015/
- Toronto Board of Trade Scorecard for Prosperity: https://www.bot.com/portals/0/unsecure/advocacy/Scorecard_2015.pdf
- Z/Yen Global Financial Centres Index: http://www.longfinance.net/global-financial-centre-index-19/976-gfci-19-the-overall-rankings.html
The Business of Cities also provides diagnostic assessments for individual cities, and offers support to government and corporate organisations that seek to create their own public or in-house benchmarking tools. One example from 2016, of Oslo, can be viewed here.
For more information visit www.thebusinessofcities.com